Meetings are held in Morningside Parish Church Hall, at the corner of Cluny Gardens/Braid Road, on the first Tuesday of each month between October and April.
Refreshments are available from 6.45 p.m., with the talk beginning at 7.15 p.m.
Visitors are very welcome to come along to these talks (a contribution of £3.00 is requested)
NOTE : The January 2020 talk will be at 2.00 p.m. on Monday 06 January, in the Cluny Hall
01 October 2019
The Charles Smith Lecture
Scotland : Her Story
Speaker : Rosemary Goring
Speaker : Mike Bullock, Chief Executive, the Northern Lighthouse Board
Annual General Meeting
A Celebration of Morningside Monuments, the buildings and their architects
Speaker : Simon Green, Historic Environment Scotland
Monday 06 January 2020, at 2.00 p.m., in the Cluny Hall
Some Morningside Ladies of Science
Speaker : Catherine Booth, former Curator of Science and Technology, National Library of Scotland
Our Unique City
Speaker : Cliff Hague, Chair, The Cockburn Association
Film Night : The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie
Scotland’s Railways – 200 Years of History in Maps
Speaker : David Spaven
The programme of visits for 2018-2019 has now ended.
The 2019-2020 Programme will be available in early 2020.
What Annual Membership Includes
The annual membership subscription is currently £12 and is due on 1 October each year.
This section of the website provides information on what entitlements are available to MHA members. These include:
• You can attend all seven monthly MHA lectures and events which take over the period from October to April without charge. Generally the winter history lecture lasts approximately one hour. These lectures are currently held in Morningside Parish Church starting at 7.15. Refreshments and biscuits are available from 6.45.
• You are free to come along to five Summer Visits. There is a small nominal charge for attending each visit: this varies from location to location to cover guide and admission expenses.
• The MHA currently have a number of research projects being carried out and you are welcome to join these.
• You are entitled to vote at the Annual AGM in December and to receive a copy of the Annual Report
• If you are interested in taking an active part in the management of the MHA you can join the MHA Management Committee.